PicayuneOnline.com Your guide to Picayune, Mississippi.
We welcome your feedback.
 

Picayune
History of Picayune
Community Resources
Demographics
Chamber of Commerce
History of Pearl River County

Local Pictures

News
Picayune Item

Government
Elected Officials
MS Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
NASA Stennis Space Center
Partners for Stennis

Education
Local Schools

Health
Hospitals/Clinics

Religion
Church List

Recreation
Crosby Arboretum
RodnReel.com

History of Pearl River County

In the early frontier days a large portion of South Mississippi was part of West Florida. There was disagreement among the English, French, and Spanish for control. This caused lawlessness, but after the Battle of New Orleans in January 1815, although the war had not already ended, it left no doubt that the United States was in control. This speeded the inhabitance of the area.

The state of Mississippi was organized in 1817, and it was divided into two large counties. Later those counties were subdivided and in 1872 portions of Marion and Hancock counties were used by the State Legislature to organize "Pearl" County. The name "Pearl" was chosen because the new county bordered Louisiana at the Pearl River. The new county seat in Byrd's Chapel and the Masonic Building was used as a church and the Court House.

Pearl County lasted only a few years because the building used as the Court House burned, and since the South had recently lost the Civil War, there was simply no tax base with which to rebuild. There was only one white land owner in the new county. His name was "Poplar" Jim Smith who had traded ten bushels of corn to Indians for his claim.

By act of the State Legislature in 1878, Pearl County was abolished and the area went back to Marion and Hancock Counties as it was before the county was formed.

Northern Syndicates later bought large parcels of virgin forest land in the area and with the coming of the railroad in 1884, it brought dynamic changes. Sawmills from Gainesville, Mississippi, which had used the slow Pearl River for transportation, were moved to Nicholson and other places north along the railroad to speed transportation of their products.

By act of the State Legislature in 1890, the county was again formed from portions of Marion and Hancock Counties. This time the single name "Pearl" could not legally be reused, so the word "River" was added by the Legislature to complete the name "Pearl River County."

A site was chosen for the new county seat which was on the railroad. Since the land was owned by Mr. "Poplar" Jim Smith, the county seat was named Poplarville.

The first court house for Pearl River County was built in 1892.

The same year, a boarding school was also built in Poplarville which was the largest of any similar institution in the state.

In 1900, the town of Lumberton withdrew from Pearl River County and was annexed by Lamar County.

In 1908, Picayune, which was a part of Hancock County, was annexed to Pearl River County.

In 1909, an accredited high school was organized. In 1923, it was made a junior college and was named Pearl River Junior College. Through the years, this junior college has been one of the most prominent in the United States.

When World War I came, the area was buzzing with sawmills. Fortunes were made in the forestry industries. Citrus fruits, strawberries and other farm products were experimented with by a highly innovative and successful business family who lived in Picayune.

Although there was a drastic slow-down caused by the Great Depression of the thirties, World War II brought back high demand for lumber and other forest products.

After World War II, dairies, beef cattle and tung oil products played an important role in local economy.

In the early 1960s, the National Aeronautical Space Administration (NASA) brought high technology to the area by building the "Mississippi Test Facility," part of which extends into Pearl River County. This new test facility was constructed to test the first two stages of the Saturn V vehicles for traveling to the moon.

About ten years later, after the Moon Mission was achieved, the Mississippi Test Facility was renamed the "National Space Technology Laboratories" (NSTL). In 1988, the center was renamed the John C. Stennis Space Center.

The U.S. Navy, U.S. Geological Survey, Earth Resources Laboratory, Environmental Protection Agency are among the agencies which demand high technology. Scientists have moved into the area from all over the United States. Of the U.S. civil servants stationed at the Stennis Space Center, one of eight has a formal education of PhD, many of whom became residents of Pearl River County.

Information provided by the Picayune Chamber of Commerce

Classifieds
Picayune Online Classifieds
Sports
SEC Sports ESPN.com
NFL.com NBA.com
CNNSI.com  
Weather
Picayune
Poplarville
Hattiesburg
Slidell
Jobs/Finance
Monster.com CNN/Money
hotjobs Kiplinger
JobOpps.net E*TRADE
Real Estate
Ford Realty Inc.
Professional Realty
Picayune Realty
Prudential Gardner
Vaughan's Home Design
Search Engines
Yahoo! Google
Lycos Webcrawler
HotBot  
Computers/Electronics
DATASTAR Inc.
Satellite Services.
Software/Drivers
Download.com
Drivershq.com
VersionTracker.com
 

 

 

DATASTAR Inc.
Problems, comments, or need additional contact information? Contact the webmaster.
Copyright 1999-2002 DATASTAR Inc. All rights reserved.

Hit Counter